2018 Sunset Feedback Surveys: Sunset Review
Your feedback is needed! NOSB is in the process of reviewing several of the fertilizers, pest control products, processing aids, and ingredients currently allowed for use by certified organic operations. These production and handling inputs will be voted on at the Fall 2016 meeting by NOSB based on their 2018 Sunset timeline (renewal date), and may not be renewed for use if new information indicates these substances are incompatible with organic production.
It’s critical that organic stakeholders weigh in by the October 26, 2016 comment deadline and explain whether these inputs are consistent with and necessary for organic production, or whether there are other effective natural or organic alternatives available.
To help facilitate the comment process, OTA has created a survey system for collecting feedback from certified farms and processors. The information collected will significantly help NOSB identify the inputs that should be renewed or removed from the National List. Below are links to electronic surveys that can be used to submit feedback on each individual input currently under NOSB review. Each survey is CONFIDENTIAL, and contains about 10 short questions that will take an estimated five minutes to complete. The information collected will be passed along to NOSB via OTA’s comments.
Each survey contains about 10 short questions and will take an estimated 5 minutes to complete.
Contact OTA if you need assistance.
- Copper Sulfate
- Ozone gas
- Peracetic acid (for use in disinfecting equipment, seed, and asexually propagated planting material)
- Peracetic acid (for use to control fire blight bacteria)
- EPA List 3 – Inerts of Unknown Toxicity
- Calcium chloride
§ 205.605(a) - Allowed non-agricultural non-synthetics
- Animal enzymes
- Calcium sulfate—mined
- Glucono delta-lactone—production by the oxidation of D-glucose with bromine water is prohibited.
- Tartaric acid—made from grape wine.
§ 205.605(b) – Allowed non-agricultural synthetics
- Cellulose—for use in regenerative casings, as an anti-caking agent (non-chlorine bleached) and filtering aid.
- Potassium hydroxide—prohibited for use in lye peeling of fruits and vegetables except when used for peeling peaches.
- Silicon dioxide—Permitted as a defoamer. Allowed for other uses when organic rice hulls are not commercially available.
§ 205.606 – Allowed non-organic agricultural ingredients when organic is not available
- Beta-carotene extract color—derived from carrots or algae (pigment CAS#7235-40-7).
Vice President of Regulatory and Technical Affairs
Farm Policy Director